ISO 6383-1 Plastic Film Tear Resistance Test Machine
Plastics — Film and sheeting — Determination of tear resistance — Part 1: Trouser tear method
ISO 6383-1:2015 specifies a method of determining the tear resistance of plastic film or sheet less than 1 mm thick, in the form of standard trouser-shaped test specimens, tested under defined conditions of pre-treatment, temperature, humidity, and speed of testing.
The method is applicable to film and sheeting of both flexible and rigid materials, provided that the material is not so rigid that brittle fracture occurs during the test, or so deformable, in an irreversible way, that the energy used in the deformation of the specimen legs is significant (i.e. is not negligible) with respect to the energy used in tearing.
The method may not be suitable for determining the tear properties of cellular sheet and film
Standard by ASTM
- C1681-14 Standard Test Method for Evaluating the Tear Resistance of a Sealant Under Constant Strain
- D1004-13 Standard Test Method for Tear Resistance (Graves Tear) of Plastic Film and Sheeting
- D1922-15 Standard Test Method for Propagation Tear Resistance of Plastic Film and Thin Sheeting by Pendulum Method
- D1938-14 Standard Test Method for Tear-Propagation Resistance (Trouser Tear) of Plastic Film and Thin Sheeting by a Single-Tear Method
- D2212-00(2015) Standard Test Method for Slit Tear Resistance of Leather
- D2582-16 Standard Test Method for Puncture-Propagation Tear Resistance of Plastic Film and Thin Sheeting
- D4932/D4932M-89(2014)e1 Standard Test Method for Fastener Rupture and Tear Resistance of Roofing and Waterproofing Sheets, Roll Roofing, and Shingles